Monday, November 17, 2008

A Pound of Paper by John Baxter


I purchased this at the Cathedral fete, which is always notable for the plant, book and jam stalls. I was very amused reading it. Baxter's concentration on one part of his life, book collecting and the people he met through it, makes this far more interesting than the usual autobiography. The glimpses of the rest of his life were interesting, too. I know autobiographical works are filed with non-fiction in libraries, but at home I always file them with fiction. Usually the style is much more like fiction than non-fiction, as it is here.


It seems in the world of rare and collectable books, it is far more Seller Beware than Buyer Beware. Personally I don't care about books signed by the author or first editions, it is the words that are important to me, but I can see the attraction to other people. Definitely an enjoyable read.


A Pound of Paper first published 2002

No comments: