Sunday, January 6, 2008

Short Stories by Robin McKinley and Peter Dickinson


A Knot in the Grain is five fantasy stories by Robin McKinley, I liked them all. I enjoyed the title story most, as it surprised me most. Buttercups was also excellent, as the characters break the rules then try to fix their mistakes.

Elementals: Water is six fantasy stories by McKinley and Peter Dickinson. Dickinson's first story, Mermaid Song, is my favourite, though I found his Kraken boringly unreadable. McKinley's Pool in the Desert and The Sea King's Son were interesting chiefly for the characters and the family relationships, in very different ways.

Both books are well worth reading.
A Knot in the Grain first published 1994, 3 stories first published 1982- 85; Elementals Water first published 2003

No comments: