Sunday, December 30, 2007

Two Miss Silver books by Patricia Wentworth


Both the The Brading Collection and The Benevent Treasure have jewelry or treasure playing an important part in the plot. I think Wentworth was running out of realistic plots - both these books were written in the fifties, near the end of her life. I enjoyed them both however, finding the characters interesting as usual, and enjoying the romance subplots. I didn't spot the actual murderer in one, only the accomplice, and though I was right in the other it was only because I noticed the fuss they made setting up their alibi.

It seems Umberto Eco was not as imaginative as I had thought in the method of murder used in The Name of the Rose; Miss Silver also predates Christie's Miss Marple.

The Brading Collection first published 1952,The Benevent Treasure 1956

No comments: