Saturday, December 8, 2007

Three Serrano books by Elizabeth Moon



There are seven books in the Serrano Legacy sequence. The first four books, which I read quite a while ago, read well as independent novels. I have just read the last three, Rules of Engagement, Change of Command and Against the Odds, and I think they read a lot more powerfully if you know what happened in the earlier books, and also form almost one long novel.

Esmay and Brun are the most important characters, though there are multiple viewpoints and many minor characters get a chapter. I didn't find the many viewpoints hard to follow and never wondered which character was which. I thought Moon handled the many strands of the plot well, and I enjoyed these books.

One of the issues this book is dealing with is effective immortality through rejuvenation, and how this will affect society. I was pleased to see that Moon didn't think everyone's reaction would be the same, there are plenty of people opposing it on various religious and philosophical grounds. I also noted with interest that her rejuvenated people tended to conservatism and opposition to change - most authors depict effectively undying people as perpetual adolescents.

Rules of Engagement first published 2000, Change of Command 2000, Against the Odds 2001.

No comments: