Saturday, December 1, 2007

The Thirteenth House by Sharon Shinn


Though technically a sequel, you can read this without having read Mystic and Rider. This was possibly a better book I thought, a very enjoyable read. More clues to the overall situation, a villain unmasked, another journey. Lots of romance readers will hate it.

Romantic novels often underestimate the prejudice against cross class marriages. They also underestimate how much most people's identity is bound up in their family and place in society, and thus how much they will lose with a disapproved of marriage. I was pleased to see some actual contemplation of the costs of this situation. Unfortunately the character should have been contemplating the costs of a completely different situation, but we can all manage to be wise after the event! And however good your motives, taking away someone else's choice/memory is despicably unethical. I am referring to the character here, not the author.
The Thirteenth House first published 2006

1 comment:

Chainletters said...

I loved your review of the book. I hope you don't mind, but I've linked to it as part of my own.