Saturday, November 3, 2007

Terenesia by Greg Egan


This book was fascinating to read, but I'm not entirely sure about the ending, which seemed a bit fast to me. Though on reflection (and re-reading the last page) probably what I thought was a sub-theme was what the author thought was the main theme. Oops.

The setting really seemed like a possible future 2030, the science and the politics likely to have sprung from our present. As this book was published 8 years ago, this is all the more cause for admiration. The science was a little daunting in parts, though not impenetrable and still very interesting.

I thought the relationships and people were very well done. This included the homosexual scenes, which have come off as pretty icky in some books I've read, but here were very good and a necessary part of the book and characters. (And yes, I've read some pretty yuck heterosexual scenes as well.)

All in all, this was the best straight science fiction novel I have read in ages, and I look forward to reading more of Greg Egan.
Teranesia first published 1999

No comments: